Saturday, June 04, 2005

More circucision. Still ouch!

Today, I am reading Romans 4. Paul has more to say on circumcision. If you read the chapter, I recommend this, you will see he is talking about Abraham, the father of Israel. He specifically talks about when Abraham was counted righteous by God. It was before he was circumcised, before he made the outward sign. Why was Abraham seen as righteous by God? He was counted as righteous because of his belief.

We cannot achieve righteousness through our actions alone. We can go get circumcised and still not be righteous. We will be seen as righteous only through our belief in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 4:23-25 - The words "it was credited to him" were written not for him alone, but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.

There it is. God has spelled it out in black and white. Only through our belief in Jesus Christ will we be righteous. We can be righteous only in Him. Do we then give up and live as we see fit. No, not at all. We must strive at all times to overcome our sinful nature.

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

What does this tell us? It says we need to do all in our power to achieve the prize. We need to strive to live the sinless Christian life. Can we? Under our own power no, but Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are there to empower us.

"Father in Heaven, I come today seeking your power in my life. I ask that you touch all that I do and count me righteous because of my belief in your Son. Make me a beacon in this dark and bleak world. Let me show those around me the hope that is Jesus. In the name of Christ, amen."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home