Thursday, June 02, 2005

Circumcision? Ouch!

Having finished Proverbs I have now moved on to Romans. Today was Romans 2. I will specifically deal with Romans 2:28,29.

Romans 2:28,29 - A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God.

We, for the most part, are not Jewish, at least by our physical birth. Technically, we would fall into the category of Gentile, but through our acceptance of salvation through Jesus Christ we are adopted as Jews into the family of God. Actual, physical, circumcision is no longer a requisite for salvation. As Paul states in 1 Corinthians 7:18, 19 - Was a man already circumcised when he was called? He should not become uncircumcised. Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised. Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts.

Actually, if you look at the two passages, their messages are very similar. It is not the outward sign of Christianity, it is the spiritual that matters. Keeping God's law is the heart of true Christianity as it was the heart of true Judaism. We are not looking for the approval of man. We want, nay, we need, the approval of God.

Keeping God's law is not something we can do on our own. If it was there would have been no need for the sacrifice of His Son for our sins. Israel had proved that the law could not be kept so God provided another way, THE way.

"Father, I come to you today and I beg your forgiveness. Each day that passes sees me breaking your law and walking outside your will. God, I know that you have a plan for my life. I ask that you create in me a desire to see that plan fulfilled. Continue to nurture this desire in me for your word and fill me with your spirit so that I might touch the world for you. In the name of Christ, amen."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Uncle. I just battled this issue. Please pray for me, because I am in need. The world assaults on all sides; I feel like I'm sinking. Too much has Christianity been reduced to ridiculous emotionalism and relativism. Thanks for your encouragement. Your brother in Florence salutes you. God bless.

6/03/2005 9:51 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Correlation: Even in the beginning of the Law God wrote of love. Such as Deuteronomy 30:6, which states that it is of the heart that we must be circumcised, so that we may love the Lord, and in doing so live. We can not extricate the New Covenant from the Old, because they are a tower holding up the banner of Truth: "Christ alone is God, there is no other. Serve Him, love Him, and live."
May we ever follow after Him who surrendered heavenly abode for the benefit of us, worthless sinners. Thank God for His grace, in which we find hope to live among the desolation of this earthly waste. God forgive us for counting the prize not worth the race; may we forsake temporal ties for eternal gain. Amen.

6/15/2005 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home