Thursday, June 30, 2005

Wisdom and Foolishness

1 Corinthians 1:20-25 - Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

Where is the wise man? I often make the claim that I am pretty much the smartest person I know. However, I am not, by any stretch of the imagination wise, not even by human estimation. The funny thing is, one of the wisest people I know has the least education, never even completing high school. He is my dad. Life has taught him well. Also, he has spent the last thirty years in the Bible. If that doesn't make you a little bit wise, nothing will. The thing that probably makes my dad as wise as he is, is the fact that he does not lean on his own wisdom. He relies on God's wisdom and strength. This is something I am still learning to do.

"Father, I need your wisdom. I need to wait on your leading. Lord, make patient to wait and hear your direction. In the name of Christ, amen."

2 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

Uncle, you're so right. Grandpa has been such a blessing and a comfort, and I rarely appreciate it as much as I should. I know they say that goes with teenage life, but I don't want to be sitting at some funeral plot wondering what happened to all that time I missed out with the greatest influence in my life--my Grandpa. He is probably the real reason I am a Christian, that is a real Christian, because he challenged me to look sin in the eye and hate it...and man did I hate him for it too. Yet, now that I have Christ, I realize what was once bitter is now refreshingly sweet. Thank you for this post, because it has reminded me of God's graciousness to all of us in this my family. God bless you, Uncle. He surely is repaying our father's faithfulness (for he has been my surrogate father). Love you, Uncle. Ciao.

7/04/2005 1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you are truly blessed. a few years ago as I read through Proverbs, I had the understanding that anywhere in the bible where you read Wisdom, you can replace it with truth. That really changed my perspective on things. Be blessed, you will find the wisdom you seek as you do what you saw your dad doing.

Oh and thanks for the link, I was blessed to see it there.

7/07/2005 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home