Friday, February 03, 2012

Six Long Years

2006... That was the last year I posted here. It has been a long six years. A lot has happened. I got married. My dad died. I know I will see him again, but still, I'd like to be able to call him. I have a pretty good idea everything he would say to me, but I'd still like to hear him say it.

This blog was about the Bible. Well, that is not going to change.

Proverbs 3:1-10
My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.


I copied the whole passage here, but one small piece jumps up and smacks me in the face. Here it is: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."

That little snippet hurts. Yes, hurts. I have sent my whole adult life trying to do things my own way. I had to be in charge. Still today, relinquishing control is hard for me, even when I look back at the ruin I have made of my life.

Oddly enough, the greatest gift I have received from God has been when I went to Him and said, "Tell me what to do, Lord." He gave me my wife. She has been wonderful to and for me. It really is a great story, one I might tell you some day.

This is going to be short tonight. I really dislike typing on this computer. It comes down to this. Listen to God. Let Him lead. You will not regret it. He will never lead you astray.

These will get deeper with practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home