Thursday, May 05, 2005

Proverbs 5

Attempting to create a new habit I have begun to read scripture daily. The way I am starting is with Proverds. One chapter a day for a month, end of month, end of book. Here is the verse that caught my eye tonight:

Proverbs 5:23 -
He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly.

All I can do is lift my eyes to Heaven and pray. "God, why have I not seen this before, this one verse that so describes me. The lack of discipline has all but killed me and my walk with you. Father, stretch out your hand and correct me. I would follow you. Amen"

The Father is great and kind. By him alone am I saved, or for that matter, alive. This chapter of Proverbs speaks specifically of sexual impropriety and infidelity, but let's step back and look at the principle. Can't the adulteress spoken of throughout the chapter also be anything upon which we focus other than the saviour. We know that sex outside of marriage is wrong, but cannot other forms of intercourse also separate us from God.

I think that is really the point of this particular passage. Keep yourselves far away from anything that draws you away from God.

"Father, that is my prayer tonight, keep me from that which separates me from you. Keep me far from temptation, and give the strength to overcome the temptations that I do face. Make me stronger so that I may walk in your ways, an example to men. Amen."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's what has convicted me, and what God has told me of my generation...I find them (and at times myself) wanting to quote, "All things are lawful unto me..." but forgetting what comes next: "but I will not be brought under the control of anything." You've also corroborated my opinion that I'd have to go to the parents instead of the kids on many issues--seeing how many are around your age. May the Lord extend His will throughout all generations that are living. Then we will have true joy. God bless.

5/10/2005 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home