Wednesday, May 04, 2005

No, not one

Romans 3:10 - as it is written: None is righteous, no, not one.

I have been a Christian for a long time. I haven't been a very good Christian, mind you, and it has taken a toll on my life. As I approach middle-age I look back on the pathetic span that's been mine and I think to myself, "What have you been doing?"
What have I been doing? Nothing. I have ducked my head and avoided responsibility for my whole life. Not any more. This is like one of those movies where you see a group of people, oppressed and fed up with it. There always ends up being a scene with a guy standings on a car/bleacher/water cooler, waving a fist in the air screaming, "We're fed up, and we're not going to take it any more!"

That's where I'm at, haphazardly balanced on a water cooler shouting into the faces of a milling crowd of me, pumping my fist, frothing at the mouth and screaming, "I'm not going to take it any more!"

It's amazing how quiet that whole scene is at a keyboard.

I've spent a lot of years in complacency, and it ends now. People around me are going to know that Christ is the answer. How, you may ask? I'm going to let them know. This particular blog is going to be about the search for righteousness.

"Righteousness, what's that?" I hear the question being asked, and as this blog progresses I will attempt to answer that question.

For now, I will say this. Righteousness is an idea that has become outmoded in todays society. In this time of me-ness righteousness is a word that isn't even used. It is a concept that todays generation has forgotten. No, not forgotten, never been taught is closer to the truth.

Let me quote an email that I just sent to a friend:

Yeah, that was the verse out of the whole chapter that stood out. Out of my life I can't think of a real period of time where I actually pursued righteousness. Actually, I just kind of waved at righteousness as it went by. I was a good person and I would get by.

It has finally struck me though, that righteousness is not a goal to be obtained for as it says in Romans 3:10, "as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one." Righteousness is a journey. We cannot be righteous in ourselves, but we must continually seek it through Jesus and the Holy Spirit. We will actually obtain true righteouness when we go home to be with the Father, but until then we are stuck in our ever-limiting flesh. We are bound, and the bonds laid on us cannot be broken by our own power, but only through the Blood of Christ.

I love God, more every day. I've spent to many years of my life wandering aimlessly. It stops now.

I felt the call of God on my life at the age of twelve. I graduated from high school and went to Bible College. I wanted a Bible degree, but I didn't want to study the Bible. I was kicked out. Now, I'm going to bury myself in His Word and books about His Word.

I will reach those around me for Him. How? First, by living a life that points to him. Then, by knowing His Word.

Christ is the answer. Now to let the world know.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff God Bless Kurt & Linda

5/10/2005 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the Lord continue to guide you. He is willing to throw the past into the bottom of the unreachable sea of oblivion--just persist in surrending; it's what we all need to learn first. In submission is our exaltation. God bless, Uncle Doug. Much love.
PS: Hope the link to my blog works.

5/10/2005 8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I put up a picture and got some table cloths out. Hope the place cleaned up nice. If you find your Hirohito poem, I'd be glad to put it up on the wall. God bless.

5/12/2005 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home